DVD LENGTH: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
#5 in the Illuminations Series!
The first four videos in the Illuminations! series introduces you to the language of painting and provides the foundation that this new video is built on. Continue the exploration of painting truths and visual relationships in the study of light and how it determines the shadows in every painting composition you attempt. Learn the so-called rules; then learn when and why to break them.
The natural world exists with certain immutable givens: gravity, sunlight, seasons, phases of the moon, etc. These are obvious to everyone. There are other, more subtle, givens in our natural world that can make or break a beginning painter's work if not truthfully observed. Knowledge of the rules that nature imposes on light, shadow, and form will elevate your painting attempts to new levels.
Some of the questions that will be explored and answered are:
- What is meant by a "shadow"?
- Are cast shadows and shadow sides the same?
- Are shadows always cool?
- If not, why?
- Can you have different temperature shadows in the same painting?
- How does light affect the color of the shadows?
- What determines the core shadow temperature?
- Can I have warm lights and warm shadows?
- Can I have cool lights and cool shadows?